Masks of Nyarlathotep
MIles Shipley's Paintings
These paintings were stolen from a London home (Soho) and were painted by the insane artist Miles Shipley:
- A portrait of a beautiful woman, unnaturally pale, sleeping delicately on a verdant carpet of writing serpents. There is a bite mark on her neck, and as you look closer at the painting, you realized that her flesh has a sickly greenish cast.
- A storm at sea. A ship in the middle-distance is wracked by the elements. Dark shapes gather beneath the waters.
- Two men kneel before a massive tree. The fruit of the tree is rotten and filled with maggots. The maggots’ faces are strangely human. In the background are dark trees with intertwining trunks and sinuous branches.
- A castle on a moor. Mutilated bodies are impaled on its ramparts. Things that are not quite birds circle overhead, silhouetted by the setting sun.
- An abstract piece, done in darker shades, this painting nevertheless suggests nothing
so much as a sheet of bubbling, roiling necrotic flesh, gleaming with an oily sheen.
- A lovers’ embrace. Both man and woman have suffered greatly from some wasting disease, as their bodies are bloody, decayed, and insect-ridden.
- It is night. A vast black mountain rises from a savannah. A great figure rises over the mountain, blotting out the moon. Its head is a massive red tendril. Near a temple-like building, tiny human figures lift their hands imploringly towards the creature; each wears a headdress of the Bloody Tongue.
- A man lies sprawled on a black stone. The man’s eyes look straight at the viewer. His lower torso is dissolving into a flood of black beetles. The stone is covered in carvings in Greek.
- A sandy beach. The sky is grey and overcast. On the sand is a massive creature not quite like a starfish. Looking closer, you can see that the brushstrokes subtly come together to form faces, human and otherwise, contorted into grotesquerie.
- A monk praying before a massive crucifix. Though Christ’s body is clearly wooden, it is covered with searching green eyes that erupt from the messiah’s flesh; these eyes have a terrible semblance of life.